Skip to main content

Some More Thoughts On Child Training



I had some conversation with my niece yesterday regarding child training, and I want to encourage you with a few thoughts.

First off, God is not surprised when our children sin, but we often are!  I remember so clearly how at times, I did be like "I can't believe that you did this!", to one of my kids.  In the middle of an issue like this one day, God spoke to me by a thought coming into my head and said, "Really?  They are sinners, just like you.  Why are you surprised?"

I have to tell you that moment changed the way I viewed my children.  They were predisposed to sin, because of Adam and Eve, and that we were in the training phase of their lives.  They could learn to obey, make good choices and all the rest, but it wasn't necessarily going to be their first inclination.

Now, some kids are easier than others.  Some are more compliant based on their personalities.  This does not mean that they don't have an inner dialogue going on about whether they want to do something or whether its 'fair.'  These kids get away with a lot more than those who are openly defiant.

Both kinds of kids need our love, and our prayers.  We need to ask God to give us right thinking in regard to our training of our kids.  When God has helped me with my thinking, I can be in control of my responses toward the actions of my kids.  I don't have to choose anger for disobedience.

You know why we get angry?  Its because our expectations were not met.  That's right!  We had the expectation that our children would obey.  But when we have the expectation that they may not obey and that we may have to discipline them, and keep training in obedience, we either get what we expect or we get the joy in knowing they did obey!

It changes how we deal with them and how we feel about our training of them!  Parenting is not for sissies, but I don't want you to go into a 'its us against them' mode either.  That's not good.

Keep your little ones close, build relationships with them.  KNOW them and let them KNOW you!  You'll tie heartstrings and the training becomes easier because they know you love them and want the best for them.

Be encouraged, Mama's!  Your doing a wonderful work in your homes!

******************************************************
 Thank you to those who've commented or contacted me.  I believe I have fixed the issue of commenting directly on this blog!  I am planning to move this blog to squarespace, I think, and have my own domain name.  I am planning to talk to my computer genius son in law, first, then I'll be sure to let you know here and to leave a link!

Comments

  1. Such good advice here, Deanna! I have said the same thing to my own children: "I can't believe you did that." And, of course, you're right. We're all sinners, dependent on His grace.

    (Thanks for enabling the comments!) :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your visit and for leaving a comment. I hope you find encouragement here.

Popular posts from this blog

Passing On A Love Of Books And Reading

One of our goals as parents was to help our children to become good readers.  We had several main reasons which are: 1. We are big readers and know the pleasure of well written books. 2. It is my belief, that if you can read well, you can teach yourself anything. This desire to pass along a love of reading is extended to my grandchildren.  We encourage a love of reading/books by reading to them, and b uying them their own books. I have books here at the Cottage, that are just for them, even the toddlers.  Klaire loves to get these books out everytime she's here.  She also gets into my books, but it is a training process - "Not those books, these are YOUR books!" I got a few cute photos of her yesterday. Have you seen these Baby Lit books?                                                                source They are really cute, I bought Klaire and Isla, Pride and Prejudice and Little Women.  Lindsay found cute sets of them for the

Here Is What We Are Doing For School This Year

We've been on summer break since May 11th.  Monday we will start a new year of learning.  Kyle will be in 7th, Sarah in 10th, and Kamryn, my granddaughter will do some days with us and some days at her home.  She is in 1st grade. We've had a good summer, did some swimming, the kids played Ultimate every Wednesday, and some of us took a trip to California for a family wedding.  Summer flew by, didn't it? We've continued to learn this summer, mostly reading, with a bit of math.  We are ready to get back to a schedule.  I always look forward to a new year. This year we are doing American History.  We use a lot of historical fiction, biographies, extra books like 'A is for Abigail,' by Lynn Cheney.  I have a big gap in ages with having my granddaughter doing history with us, so those books suited to her age will be read with just her, but otherwise we will be altogether for history.   I like to do a bit of 'morning time.'  This for us mea

Welcome to Homeschool Encouragement!

My name is Deanna Rabe and I am happy you are here.  I'd love to tell you a little about myself. I have been homeschooling my kids for 23years, that's along time isn't it?  I have been married for 29 years and am the mother of six kids ages 27, 25, 23, 17, 14 and 11. I've graduated four of my kids and have two still schooling at home.  Sarah is finishing 9th grade and Kyle 6th, so I have a few years left and I am glad!   It's become a way of life for us, and over the years I have found my teaching style, and I work with my kids trying to teach them according to the way they learn. It wasn't always this way however and many days, in the beginning, my son would be in tears and so would I!  I had so much to learn and learn we did.  Some through trial and error, and some through experienced moms who were an encouragement to me.  We do a Charlotte Mason style education at our home, but I've tweaked it over the years to suit our family. The best advice I