Skip to main content

Mothering Tip



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing On A Love Of Books And Reading

One of our goals as parents was to help our children to become good readers.  We had several main reasons which are: 1. We are big readers and know the pleasure of well written books. 2. It is my belief, that if you can read well, you can teach yourself anything. This desire to pass along a love of reading is extended to my grandchildren.  We encourage a love of reading/books by reading to them, and b uying them their own books. I have books here at the Cottage, that are just for them, even the toddlers.  Klaire loves to get these books out everytime she's here.  She also gets into my books, but it is a training process - "Not those books, these are YOUR books!" I got a few cute photos of her yesterday. Have you seen these Baby Lit books?                                                                source They are really cute, I bought Klaire and Isla, Pride and Prejudice and Little Women.  Lindsay found cute sets of them for the

Here Is What We Are Doing For School This Year

We've been on summer break since May 11th.  Monday we will start a new year of learning.  Kyle will be in 7th, Sarah in 10th, and Kamryn, my granddaughter will do some days with us and some days at her home.  She is in 1st grade. We've had a good summer, did some swimming, the kids played Ultimate every Wednesday, and some of us took a trip to California for a family wedding.  Summer flew by, didn't it? We've continued to learn this summer, mostly reading, with a bit of math.  We are ready to get back to a schedule.  I always look forward to a new year. This year we are doing American History.  We use a lot of historical fiction, biographies, extra books like 'A is for Abigail,' by Lynn Cheney.  I have a big gap in ages with having my granddaughter doing history with us, so those books suited to her age will be read with just her, but otherwise we will be altogether for history.   I like to do a bit of 'morning time.'  This for us mea

Welcome to Homeschool Encouragement!

My name is Deanna Rabe and I am happy you are here.  I'd love to tell you a little about myself. I have been homeschooling my kids for 23years, that's along time isn't it?  I have been married for 29 years and am the mother of six kids ages 27, 25, 23, 17, 14 and 11. I've graduated four of my kids and have two still schooling at home.  Sarah is finishing 9th grade and Kyle 6th, so I have a few years left and I am glad!   It's become a way of life for us, and over the years I have found my teaching style, and I work with my kids trying to teach them according to the way they learn. It wasn't always this way however and many days, in the beginning, my son would be in tears and so would I!  I had so much to learn and learn we did.  Some through trial and error, and some through experienced moms who were an encouragement to me.  We do a Charlotte Mason style education at our home, but I've tweaked it over the years to suit our family. The best advice I